As part of steps taken to provide citizens with new currency notes, especially with Eid holidays, this facility will be provided through 500 E-branches in 116 cities during Ramazan.
According to information, the aspirants of fresh currency notes need to type CNIC numbere-branch ID and send it as an SMS to 8877. Charges of sending an SMS to 8877 are Rs. 2 (plus tax).
In reply to SMS, the customer will get their redemption code, e-branch address and redemption code validity date. The redemption code will be valid for two working days.
Once the aspirants receive the code, they can visit the concerned E-branch along with their original CNIC card, its photocopy and the redemption code received from 8877 to acquire new notes.
It may be noted that in order to avoid an abuse of the system, SBP has allotted a quota of new notes which will be granted to each person. This quota consists of two packets of Rs. 10, one packet of Rs.20, one packet of Rs. 50 (subject to availability) and one package of Rs. 100 (subject to availability).
The SMS service will be functional from June 26th that is 20th Ramadan-ul-Mubarak.
How to get a new Currency Note:
- In order to get new currency notes, write CNIC
Code Number of your desired bank branch and send it to 8877
- After sending the message, the user will receive an SMS containing the transaction number and Bank branch address.
- The new currency notes will be issued on providing the received transaction number and original CNIC from the respective Bank branch.
With the help of this SMS service, the customer will be able to get bundles of Rs. 10, Rs. 20, Rs. 50 and Rs.100 currency notes, depending upon the availability of the stock.
It is important to mention here that this SMS service is been commenced on an experimental basis and will be initially available in 28 cities and 150 Bank branches of Pakistan. However, SBP may extend it to other cities as well soon.
Terms and Conditions:
- Sending an SMS to 8877 will cost Rs.2 + tax.
- New currency notes can be availed only once against a single CNIC number.
- Transaction code will not be issued on the same mobile number hence, the customers will be required to use another number for a different CNIC.
- The transaction code will be valid for a maximum of two working days.
- You can get the Branch code of Bank branches by going to this link.
- Call at SBP helpline at 021-3245-5470 and 021-3245-5125 for any complaint.
A help desk has also been established at 111-008-877 to entertain queries/complaints of general public. The help desk can be contacted through NWD code of: 042 for Punjab, 021 for Sindh and Balochistan, 051 for Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, Azad Kashmir, and Gilgit-Baltistan.
The help desk facility will only be available during office hours.
It is expected that the start of SMS service will facilitate public in acquiring new currency notes for Eid-ul-Fitr in a timely and hassle-free manner.